Sunday, September 28, 2014

Delpit: Other People's Children

The author of this article is Lisa Delpit and the part that we read was called the Silent Dialogue which is turn describes the silence that people of color have in the world because it is just easier for them.  I disagree with this because in my opinion everyone should be equal but that isn't the case all the time.  But rather than speak their mind the person of color keeps quite knowing that if they speak up it won't make a difference so to make things easier they don't say anything at all. 

The first part of this article is upsetting to me.  I know that this happens in the world and that people of color are looked down on and their knowledge sometimes isn’t valued and the “white folks” know what is best.  But that doesn't sit right with me!  But here's the deal with that, I know that people act differently and I can only speak for myself and I know that I don't act like but people do.  Two questions come to mind when people show racism towards people of color or even someone different then "white" 1. Is it fair? 2. When will it end?  It is so upsetting that this has been going on for hundreds of years and it has gotten better.  But has it really?  Just like in the article when Delpit says about the position of power in our schools and how it is geared more towards the middle and upper class kids and the lower class suffer.  It makes me cringe knowing that this goes on and that people actually justify it to make themselves feel better. 

I want to mention a little bit about power in reference to the article. In a position of power the one or group who is in power will always try to make the person they are trying to teach see it the way they see it.  A lot of people handle power differently.  Some can use the power and teach and be understanding to peoples learning abilities and then some yell, belittle, act arrogant and teach and say what they think is best regardless of people’s opinions or even knowledge, god forbid someone knows more than they do about something.  I know this from experience at a job where I was a boss and I also got bossed around so to speak.  I would use different tools to help my employees understand how to sell and would relate it them but I was in a world of negative teachings and my boss would belittle me and make fun and just was mean to the managers and it would rub off on me and I would find myself doing that to my employees and would have to catch myself.  I always would say I don't want to make these people feel the way I feel when I go into a meeting or to work.  I want them to be able to come to me and ask questions not fair me.  I feared the owner and it wasn't fun.  

I am attaching a video my blog this week because this article is reminding me what I am learning about in one of my other classes.  It is called blaming the victim yet this was in the 1950's some of this stuff goes on today and we are always blaming people of color for things so I thought it was fitting to this article and this post. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALmBinv19mc

2 comments:

  1. I agree that you should always listen when others are talking because they might have something to contribute. In this case people of color are being silence because people in power think lowly of them. It's a totally arrogant way to think and is not fair to those people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally like to see a teacher take leadership and control of her classrooms because when there is no control it can become chaotic and distracting when other students don't respect the teacher. That's just me! We can enjoy class while still respecting the teacher as the person in charge.

    ReplyDelete